Grade 5 Middle School Information January 12 2022 from
The middle school application period is now open, and the deadline to apply is March 1, 2022. If your child is both a New York City resident and current fifth grade student, be sure to apply by the deadline.
Here’s how to apply:
1. Log in to your MySchools.nyc account. You will use MySchools, the DOE’s online directory and application system, to explore middle schools and apply. Need help accessing your account?
- Public DOE or charter school students can talk to your child’s school counselor.
- Private or parochial school students can get support from a Family Welcome Center.
2. Learn about your child’s school options. You can apply to up to 12 programs with your child’s personalized middle school application.
- When you’re logged in to MySchools, your child’s customized search will feature all the middle school programs they’re eligible to attend. If your child is not eligible to apply to a program, that program will not appear as an option for their application.
- Learn about schools of interest on their MySchools pages, which include links and contact information. Save programs to your Favorites list by clicking the stars next to their names.
- Find out if middle schools are hosting any open houses or if they feature resources for prospective families by visiting their websites or contacting them directly.
- Add up to 12 choices to your child’s application. Be sure to list these choices in your true order of preference, with your first-choice program at the top as #1. There is no advantage to listing programs in any other order.
UPDATE! We're excited to announce that, starting with fall 2022 admissions, the DOE will phase in a sibling priority for middle school applicants. For students applying this winter who have a sibling in sixth grade, you will have priority to attend the same middle school as that sibling–learn more on our website.
3. Submit your application by March 1.
- You can apply one of three ways: online with MySchools, through your child’s current school counselor, or through a Family Welcome Center.
- If you apply online, you’ll get a receipt by email and in your MySchools account. If you apply through a counselor or Family Welcome Center, be sure to request a copy of your receipt.
Want to learn more? Visit our website, schools.nyc.gov/Middle, to get the most up-to-date admissions information, including how to know your child’s chances of getting an offer to specific programs. At the top of the page, our video playlist includes tutorials on how to set up your MySchools account and submit your child’s application.
Interested in auditions? Middle school arts programs will be inviting families to submit virtual auditions this year. To learn more about auditions, please visit our middle school audition website.
Need support? We’re here to help! Talk to your current school counselor, call 718-935-2009, or contact a Family Welcome Center.
The Middle School Admissions Team, Office of Student Enrollment